Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thankful for pain

I've been keeping a running tab in my head of all of the reasons why I am thankful to God for allowing my chronic head and ear pain to continue. This December marks 4 years that I've had daily, continual pain, and it's taken me as long to be able to genuinely thank God for his grace not only in spite of the pain, but in it as well. Here are 15 reasons, though I'm sure there are many more.

1) It causes me to yearn for eternity and to dwell on heavenly things. (Rom. 8:18)
2) Keeps me from being numbed into apathy by comfort.
3) Humbles me, in my inability to take away the pain. (2 Cor. 12:7-10, Phil. 2:8)
4) In humbling me, leads to me greater obedience. (Phil. 2:8,12; Heb. 12:11)
5) Constantly reminds me of the reality of death, which all pain points to. (Rom. 8:20-22)
6) Places me in the position to be empowered by God rather than try to rely on my own
strength. (2 Cor. 1:9)
7) Gives me a daily example of the reality of Romans 8:28
8) Affirms that I am a child of God, for he disciplines all his children. (Heb 12:7)
9) Leads me to repentance, as pain is a result of the curse, brought about by sin. (Lk 13:1-5,
Job 36:7-10)
10) Produces endurance, character, and hope. (Rom. 5:3-5; James 1:2-3)
11) Glorifies God by displaying his worth through my peace and joy in the midst of pain. (Rom.
5:3-5, 1 Pet. 4:16)
12) Gives me greater communion with Christ, who suffered much physical pain. (1 Pet. 4:13; 2
Tim. 2:3; Phil. 3:10)
13) According to David (and Luther), affliction enables me to better learn God's Word. (Ps
119:71)
14) Many who know about my headaches pray for me, though they otherwise might not.
15) I’m learning to rely on God in the midst of pain at an early age. I know that as life goes on,
pain only increases. (Lam. 3:27)

0 comments: